CUA LO, Vietnam: Vietnam is bracing for Typhoon Kajiki, shutting airports, closing schools, and moving tens of thousands of people to safety as the strongest storm of the year barrels toward its central coast.
Vietnam’s weather agency said Kajiki, packing winds of up to 166 kph (103 mph) at sea, was about 110 km (68 miles) offshore early on August 25 and expected to make landfall by afternoon. Authorities warned of flash floods, landslides, and widespread damage as the fast-moving storm approaches.
“This is an extremely dangerous fast-moving storm,” the government said.
The typhoon is forecast to hit fewer industrialised provinces than those struck by Typhoon Yagi last year, which killed around 300 people and caused US$3.3 billion in damage. After crossing Vietnam, Kajiki is expected to move inland across Laos and northern Thailand.
Officials said that around 30,000 people had already been evacuated from coastal regions, with plans to move more than half a million. About 16,500 soldiers and 107,000 paramilitary personnel are on standby for search and rescue operations.
Two airports in Thanh Hoa and Quang Binh provinces have been closed, while Vietnam Airlines and Vietjet have cancelled dozens of flights. Boats have been ordered to remain in port.
Kajiki skirted China’s Hainan Island, forcing the city of Sanya to shut down businesses and public transport. By August 25 morning, the province downgraded its typhoon alerts but warned of heavy rains and storms in southern Hainan. Local media reported fallen trees and residents taking shelter in underground garages as the storm passed.
With its long coastline along the South China Sea, Vietnam is no stranger to typhoons, which frequently bring deadly flooding and destruction. Authorities say Kajiki is shaping up to be the most dangerous storm to hit the country this year.