2LT National News

Gimelstob resigns from ATP board after assault case

May 2, 2019

Paris – Justin Gimelstob resigned from his position on the ATP’s board of directors after the American was sentenced following assault charges, he announced on Wednesday.

Gimelstob, a former professional player, pleaded no contest to felony battery charges and was given three years’ probation and 60 hours of community service by a Los Angeles court on April 22.

he said in a Facebook post.

he added.

Gimelstob, 42, was in court following an incident in October last year that saw him accused of attacking former friend Randall Kaplan while the venture capitalist, his wife and their two-year-old daughter were trick-or-treating on Halloween.

Gimelstob said.

Pressure from players and former players had mounted on Gimelstob to stand down from the ATP board, three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka joining the chorus just a day ago.

the Swiss former world number three tweeted, calling the American remaining on the board a

Andy Murray, Pat Cash and Martina Navratilova were among several former players calling for Gimelstob’s ouster.

Gimelstob went 107-172 in a career from 1996 to 2007, never winning an ATP singles title and reaching as high as 63rd in the world rankings. His best Grand Slam singles runs came to the third round at Wimbledon and the US Open.

He captured mixed doubles Grand Slam titles at the 1998 Australian and French Opens partnered with Venus Williams. Later, he served as a coach and television commentator.

Gimelstob was in court following an incident in October last year that saw him accused of attacking former friend Randall Kaplan while the venture capitalist, his wife and their two-year-old daughter were trick-or-treating on Halloween.